- Art and puppet making: Saturday, Feb. 3 (10am-6pm); Sunday, Feb. 4 (noon-3pm)
- Welcome event for Lt. Watada supporters Sun. Feb 4 (5pm-9pm)
CELEBRATE RESISTANCE to ILLEGAL WAR!
Welcome Event for Lt. Ehren Watada Supporters
Sunday Feb 4, 5:00 – 9:00 pm
Supporters from across the country are mobilizing to the Ft. Lewis area to demonstrate support for Lt. Ehren Watada as he faces court martial on February 5th.
Let’s come together to celebrate our resistance to illegal, immoral war and Lt. Ehren Watada’s courageous stand on the night before his court martial. Meet local community members and visiting supporters as they gear up to demonstrate outside the gates of Ft. Lewis and also fill the courtroom with supporters! The evening’s event will include food, music, speakers and spoken word. A great place to get more information about the following day’s event, meet and welcome people.
First Congregational Church
(Pilgram Hall – Downstairs)
209 S J St. (near Division St)
- Ryan Harvey, member of Riot Folk:
- Dennis Kyne, Ethan Crowell and Michael Cuzzort
Acoustic performance by members of Iraq Veterans Veterans Against the War
- Steve and Kristi Nebel, Americana duo with an edge
- Army Col. Ann Wright (Ret.)
Resigned in opposition to the Iraq war in 2003
- Iraq Veterans Against the War members
- Anita Dennis, mother of Iraq war resister Darrell Anderson
- More TBA!
- Darrell Anderson, Iraq combat veteran and war resister
- Josh Reisberg
- Luke Smiraldo, aka Vanilla Soul
Members of First United Methodist Church and United for Peace of Pierce County will provide a main course. Please bring a dessert or salad and non-alcoholic drinks or something else you would like to share if at all possible.
Driving Directions from Sea-Tac Airport:
I-5 S toward TACOMA
TAKE EXIT 133, TACOMA/CITY CENTER and merge onto I-705 N toward CITY CENTER.
IN ABOUT ½ MILE, EXIT RIGHT, ONTO SCHUSTER PARKWAY.
GET INTO RIGHT LANE, AND take the STADIUM WAY exit
Turn RIGHT onto STADIUM WAY S.
Turn LEFT onto DIVISION AVE. (blue “Hospital” sign is on your right)
GO STRAIGHT THROUGH TWO LIGHTS.
At the Third stoplight, turn LEFT ONTO I STREET.
THE PARKING LOT IS ON YOUR IMMEDIATE RIGHT.
ENTER CHURCH THROUGH THE ALLEY DOOR.
For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored by: The Micah Project of First United Methodist Church, United for Peace of Pierce County, Friends and Family of Lt. Watada, Olympia Movement for Justice and Peace, Courage to Resist, Youth Against War and Racism, and Teen Peace Project.
Art, Puppets and Theater-Making! Street theater volunteers needed!
A group of activists and artists from Tacoma and Courage to Resist has spent the last week making art, giant puppets and theater. While the politicaly motivated military tribunal tries to convict Lt Watada, we will perform a giant street theater pageant to visibly, publicly and dramaticaly put the War on Trial in front of Ft Lewis! Join us!
- 2/3 Saturday 10-6 PM: Puppet-finishing at 1114 Court E, Tacoma, WA
- 2/4 Sunday Noon-3 PM: Puppet REHEARSAL (everyone needed!) at 1114 Court E, Tacoma, WA
- 2/5 Monday Noon-5 PM: Pageant and rally at Interstate 5 Exit 119
We need folks who can come to both the Sunday Feb. 4, noon to 3pm reherasal AND the to Exit 119 outside Ft Lewis gathering at noon and then again hoping to repeat the performance in the late afternoon.
PUPPETISTA PEACE WORKSHOP
1114 Court E, Tacoma
(This is basically in a warehouse up the hill from downtown. It is just below S 11th and Tacoma Ave.)