A few of the reports, photos, and videos from around the world:
- Veterans lead march on White House to free Bradley Manning and end wars. Photos by Jeff Paterson, Courage to Resist. Washington DC. 19 March 2011
- “Hundreds protest treatment of alleged WikiLeaks whistleblower,” video and article by CNN. Quantico, 20 March 2011
- “The Uncommon Valor of Bradley Manning Blocked at Quantico Brig,” video by Eddie Becker. Quantico, 20 March 2011
- “Riot police at Bradley Manning rally,” video by Dennis Trainor. Quantico, 20 March 2011
- Live video stream archive by FireDogLake, hosted on UStream. Quantico, 20 March 2011
- Photos from the Rally for Bradley! at Quantico by Jeff Paterson, Courage to Resist. 20 March 2011
- “Protesters decry the jailing of WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning,” (with video) by Bryan Denson, The Oregonian. Portland, 20 March 2011
- “Supporters for WikiLeaks whistle-blower gather in Philly” by Naomi Jagoda
- Photos from the Vancouver, Canada, US Consulate rally by Jay Black. 20 March 2011
- Bradley Manning vigil in Budapest video. 20 March 2011
- Reports, videos, and photos by stopthesewars.org. 19-20 March 2011
- CodePink rallies “naked” to call attention to forced nudity by Marine jailers (photos | video). San Francisco, 22 March 2011
Washington DC, March 14, 2011 – On March 19-20, 2011, activist organizations and individuals will take to the streets to protest the U.S. government’s treatment of accused WikiLeaks whistle-blower Army Private First Class Bradley Manning. Manning, 23, has been held in isolation for nearly 300 days, charged with releasing classified documents, including a video that shows American troops shooting and killing 11 people, including two Reuters employees, in 2007.
Organizers are calling on supporters around the world to take public action to protest Manning’s inhumane treatment at the Quantico brig, which P.J. Crowley, Secretary of State Hilary Clinton’s former assistant for public affairs, declaimed last week as “ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid.”
The primary rally will take place outside the brig in Quantico where Manning is being held. In addition to the Quantico rally, the Bradley Manning Support Network is pleased to announce events in cities around the world, including Minneapolis, London, Montreal, The Hague, Phoenix, San Diego, and Vienna. “On March 2nd, Manning was stripped of his clothing and forced to spend the night naked, then stand for inspection the next morning without his clothes. This happened again the following night, and we don’t know how long this will keep going,” said Jeff Paterson, steering committee member of the Bradley Manning Support Network and project director of Courage to Resist. “This pre-trial punishment is inhumane and un-American.” Despite the recommendations of three forensic military psychiatrists, the MCB Quantico Commander refuses to lift PFC Manning’s Prevention of Injury (POI) status and change his confinement classification from MAX to Medium Custody In (MDI). Manning’s imprisonment has resulted in an international outcry, and his conditions are the subject of an investigation by the UN special rapporteur on torture and a recent campaign by Amnesty International. Famed Pentagon Papers whistle-blower Daniel Ellsberg, who will be speaking at a rally in Quantico on the 20th, has called Mr. Manning “a new hero of mine.” More Information: * See currently scheduled list of events: http://www.bradleymanning.org/events * Details about the Quantico rally: http://www.bradleymanning.org/16125/rally-for-bradley-quanitco-virginia-sun-march-20/ * Details are also cross-posted at WLCentral http://wlcentral.org/node/1461 * Learn how to host a rally for Bradley Manning: http://www.bradleymanning.org/16362/how-to-have-an-event-for-bradley-manning The Bradley Manning Support Network is a grassroots, nonpartisan organization which works to: * Stop the extreme, inhumane and illegal pre-trial punishment of Bradley Manning * Ensure that Bradley Manning receives top-notch legal representation from the lawyer of his choice * Stop any effort by the United States government to hold a secret court martial trial, unchecked by public and media oversight * Free Bradley Manning!