By Courage to Resist. May 1, 2016.
On April 27th, a congressional committee voted to extend the draft to women as well as men. The vote, held by the House Armed Service committee, attached an amendment to a “must-pass” annual military spending authorization bill (HR 4909).
Sign the petition to abolish the draft
If the bill passes without the amendment being addressed, the President would be given the right to order women to register for the draft.
Since HR 4909 is an annual bill concerning military spending, it is certain to be approved. Unless the amendment is addressed, it will be passed.
What should I do now if I don’t want to register for the draft — and I don’t want anyone else to have to register either?
- Contact your representative in Congress today and urge them to remove the amendment to H.R. 4909 to extend draft registration to women. Tell Congress that resistance will make draft registration of women unenforceable, as it has for men
- Encourage your representative to sponsor H.R. 4523, a separate bi-partisan bill that would end draft registration entirely and abolish the Selective Service System
- Sign the petition in support of HR 4523, the bill proposed to abolish the military draft
- Spread the word to family and friends with this printable leaflet
- Women aged 18-26 can send “I Won’t Go” or “We Won’t Go” statements for publication on Resisters.info with their name or anonymously
Read more in-depth analysis from anti-draft activist Edward Hasbrouck
You guys have it precisely backwards. The reason we are involved in wars all over is because we have an all-volunteer army that is in effect the president’s private military with which he and the generals can do as he and they please. None of this would be possible if we had a citizen army that as a practical matter could only be committed when the country thinks it is in danger. We wouldn’t be fighting an endless war in the Middle East. If Americans won’t participate in the military the Defense Department will hire foreigners and offer them citizenship. And if you know a little history, this is how the Roman Empire came to ruin–they started using foreign troops who eventually got the idea of taking over. How would you like to have, say, Ukrainian troops putting down citizen protests in the US? Think about it. It’s your country.
Equal opportunity imperialism
why wouldn’t we want to extend the draft to women? that would be one of the best ways to stop or prevent Wars. the draft is what ended the Vietnam War. make more people individually involved and the chance for war goes way down.